Thursday, February 27, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: Colonoscopy Prep

Since I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease 24 years ago, I have more colonoscopies than I can remember.  My current guess is that I've had 10-15 colonoscopies (one without any sedation or anesthetic).  However, I've been a bad patient and haven't had a colonoscopy in the last 8 years.  So, I'm going through colonoscopy prep tonight.

The prep hasn't gone well.  I forgot to get the Dulcolax and the instructions didn't specify whether they wanted me to take the softener or the laxative (I'll have to mention that to my GI's staff).  Since I have Crohn's Disease, I felt I didn't need the laxative and so I took the softener instead.

My GI mentioned that since I have Crohn's and chronic diarrhea, I really didn't need to use the full-blown prep they give to normal people.  He prescribed (suggested, instructed?) me to take the "Miralax prep".  So far this has been MUCH better than any other prep I've tried.  Although I can taste the Miralax, it isn't the awful, bitter, gag reflex inducing taste of some of the other preps.

The bad news is that I have started everything late.  I was in an airplane when I was supposed to start with the softener.  I was driving home from the airport when I was supposed to start taking the Miralax prep.  I took the Dulculax when I got home at 6:30 pm (instead of 2 pm).  I started taking the prep mixture around 7:10 pm instead of 5 pm.

Because the colonoscopy begins at 10 am, I'm supposed to begin my second round of Miralax prep mixture at 8 pm.  However, I won't be done with my first round by then so I plan to take a break of 30 minutes or so prior to starting the second round.

I have to add that the prep instructions gives all measurements in grams.  Since I don't have a scale handy, this was a major irritation.  I had to do all the calculations quickly since I was so late in starting the prep.  However, I think I'm supposed to take about 8.5 fluid oz (a little more than 1 cup) of dry Miralax powder mixed with 64 oz of Gatorade or other clear fluid of my choice.  I split that into two batches.  Take the first batch in four doses over an hour.  Wait a while and then take the other batch, also in four doses over an hour.

I know I got the ratio of Miralax to Gatorade wrong.  I consumed the correct amount of Miralax but drank it with 80 oz of Gatorade.

Many hours later and I feel full and bloated.  Although things look flushed out, I don't feel flushed out.  I still feel like I have a lot of fluid left.  It's 11 pm now and I'm tired and want to go to sleep.  My bowels keep telling me they're not done but they also refuse to finish the flush.

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment