Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: Cramping today

For the last 1-2 weeks, I've been feeling much better in general.  Last night I even ran 3.25 miles and lifted weights as I resume my running.

However,
  • Last night I had a bad night sweat again
  • This morning I awoke feeling completely drained of energy
  • Breakfast caused severe cramping (of the intestinal spasm variety)
  • I've had worse than normal diarrhea (4 times in 4 hours).

After dealing with the pain for an hour, I treated it with Imodium (2 OTC tablets) and Levsin (0.375 mg).  An hour after taking the medication, my pain has subsided a lot.  I can still feel it but I am also functional and able to concentrate on work (pain went from a 4 or so down to a 1-2 level).

One of my life lessons is that eating often causes painful cramping and diarrhea.  Therefore, I do not eat before I do certain things (like running).  Even if my last meal was 4 or more hours ago, I refuse to eat until I've gotten my run in.

If the diarrhea doesn't improve soon, I'll take another 2 OTC tablets.

No comments:

Post a Comment