Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: 2/11/14 & Imuran

I've been Imuran for about 3 weeks now.  Over the last 10 days or so I have had moderate to severe night sweats.  Some of these were as bad as the worst I've ever had - thoroughly soaking my clothes, top sheet, bottom sheet, pillow, and requiring me to towel the sweat running down my body when I got out of bed.  Afterwards, I got a fresh towel and put it down over the soaked sheets, changed my clothing, and tried to find a dry patch of sheet.

I just found out today that I'm supposed to tell my doctor if I start suffering night sweats.  I know it seems obvious (night sweats are a sign of infection and Imuran is an immuno-suppressant - which intuitively seems like a really bad combination), however, night sweats are also a normal part of my Crohn's flare process so I didn't think about it before today.

Anyway, I called the doctor this morning and left a message and a call-back number.  The doctor ordered a new round of blood tests (new genetic testing, CBC, and kidney/liver panels).  He also ordered me to immediately stop taking the Imuran.  I told the nurse who gave me these instructions that I was out of town and not due back until Friday.  I asked if it was OK if I postponed the tests until then (she didn't know).  I asked her to ask the doctor but she sounded noncommittal on finding out whether it was OK for me to wait until then.  I did buy myself a thermometer and will monitor my temperature during the week.  I'll call them back if my temperature spikes.


Other than the night sweats, I have been feeling much better.  My symptoms from the flare and abscess continue to subside.  I still have a nagging ache (no OTC pain meds required) at my Crohn's and abscess site but wearing a belt, activity, and eating don't seem to exacerbate it (this is much improved over just a few weeks ago).  My energy levels are up (I ran last night & lifted weights).  So far I have not experienced any negative repercussions from my work out (other than the expected level of mildly sore and tired muscles).

My tooth which requires a root canal remains my biggest complaint.  I'm treating it with 2 advil / 8 hours and topically with Sensodyne toothpaste as needed.

One observation that I have is that the more quantity I eat, the more likely I'll suffer from cramping & bloating.  So I'm trying to reduce my meal sizes.  Of course bulk fiber foods also cause a lot of issues.  I'm sticking with low-residue foods except, I allow myself to consume fiber in liquid form.  I accidentally picked up low-sodium V8 juice, that stuff sucks ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment