Monday, February 10, 2014

Diary of a Crohn’s Flare: December 2013



12/1/13 - Sunday
I had to travel for work and so suffered through this pain during the trip (usually between a 3 & 5 on my pain scale) without any pain relief. 

During the week the pain was minor enough that I didn’t require any pain medications.  I kept my activity to a minimum and did no running.

12/4/13 - Wednesday
I awoke feeling terrible with nausea and pain.  I took a Norco (hydrocodone + acetaminophen) and a Bentyl (dicyclomine) and stayed in the hotel room until I had to leave for the airport.  After I got to the airport I took a full norco and another bentyl.  That kept me comfortable during the flight home.  By the time I got to my destination airport, about 7 hours had elapsed and I was safe to drive again but I also began to hurt again.  I remained uncomfortable for the next couple of days.

12/9/13 - Monday
I traveled again this week and in general felt better than I did the previous week.  I ran on Monday and again on Wednesday evening.

12/12/13 - Thursday
This morning I felt terrible again and stayed in my hotel room until I had to leave for the airport.  By the time I had to leave, I had just begun to feel better.  I was comfortable during the trip and didn’t require any pain medications.

For the rest of the week I felt OK. 

12/14/13 - Saturday

On Saturday, I started hurting again and I had to take a norco for pain again.  Saturday night I started feeling very cold while my family didn’t feel cold.  For me, this is a sign of a fever, so I started taking my temperature.  My temperature went up to 100.5 F.

12/15/13 - Sunday
On Sunday, I woke up feeling bad again.  That night, I started feeling very cold while my family didn’t feel cold.  For me, this is a sign of a fever, so I started taking my temperature.  For several hours I had a fever of up to 101 F.  Over night I experienced a moderately bad night-sweat.

12/16/13 - Monday
I felt bad again but didn’t require pain medications.  I was able to work from home and kept my activity to a minimum.  Monday night I developed a fever of 101 F again.

12/17/13 - Tuesday
I felt bad again and realized that the pain I was experiencing felt different from a normal bowel obstruction.  My distention from bloating wasn’t as bad as I experience from a normal bowel obstruction.  Instead of radiating the pain was extremely localized.  As I told my wife, “it feels like it would be better if they could scoop it out with an ice cream scoop.”  I also told her that the pain was about the size of a ping pong ball.

So I went to the doctor’s office.  She examined me and decided she needed blood tests and a CT scan.  The blood tests showed decreased kidney function and elevated white blood cells and neutrophils (signs of infection).  The CT scan showed a large abscess about 2 inches by 1.5 inches in size.

The doctors prescribed a 2 week course of 2 types of antibiotics (Flagyl and Ciprofloxicin).  During this time I intermittently required norco for pain.  I had to remain relatively inactive (no running) because even light activity (such as walking in store) rapidly caused pain and a feeling of unwellness.

After getting approval from doctor I tried light activity (10 minutes on an elliptical).

12/31/13 - Wednesday
I completed my antibiotics and went back for another CT scan.  The scan showed significant improvement (the abscess decreased in size).  The doctor prescribed another 10 day round of antibiotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment