Monday, February 10, 2014

Running with Crohn's: I'm really proud of this

If you've followed my blog, you know that I've had medical issues that kept me from running for the last 2 months or so.

Today I ran 3.2 miles (in 31 minutes) and lifted weights for about 40 minutes.  When I got back to my hotel room, I noticed I had salt encrusted on my face.  That's a badge of honor for me.  I haven't worked hard enough to generate that sort of rime in many months.

I'm still in a "return to running mode".  For me that means running a distance experimentally.  I see how I feel while running and also the day after the run.  I run no more frequently than every other day.  If I feel fine, then I allow myself to run another mile in the next run.  If I don't feel well the next day, then I try to scale the next run based upon how I felt.

During the first mile of the run I really felt like I was working hard aerobically.  I didn't think I could run the distance I planned to run (3.1 miles).  However, around 1/2 way through I really began to feel better.  By the end, I felt good enough to keep running at least another mile.  However, I felt that discretion was the better part of valor and I elected to stick with my planned run.

I'll allow myself to go 4 miles on Wednesday, provided I still feel OK tomorrow.

As for the weight lifting.  I had experienced a pinched nerve back in February of 2010.  Since then, my left side (but especially my left arm) has been much weaker than my right.  One objective of my lifting is to rebuild the strength in my left side (and arm).  My right arm is now about 85% as strong as my right, so that seems to be working.

2 comments:

  1. Jim, I greatly admire you for your running prowess in spite of your Crohn's condition. Let me know if you ever wanna try low dose naltrexone. I've been on it for about 2 years now, for my asthma and prostate cancer. I don't want you to end up like Tony Snow.
    Jim Yates aka Iggy Dalrymple

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,

    Thank you. My new drug (immuno-suppressive) is Azathioprine. Which I understand is about as powerful as the low-dose Naltrexone. I'm on the lower-end of a therapeutic dose for a Crohn's flare right now.

    My doctor has given me a genetic test to see if my system metabolizes the drug correctly before ramping up my dosage.

    ReplyDelete