Saturday, February 15, 2014

Running with Crohn's: Psoriasis

This is another condition which is more common in people who suffer from Crohn's Disease (and IBD) than in the general population.

Psoriasis is a skin disease that often appears the elbows, knees, scalp and back. The telltale signs of Psoriasis are a red rash with silvery white scales. Psoriasis is associated with other serious health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease and depression.
The Crohn's / Psoriasis link

I've had an issue with red, itchy, burning, and scaly skin on my scalp since high school.  It appears everywhere I have thick hair (eyebrows, beard, mustache, and scalp).

I have tried every over the counter (OTC) treatment for it that you can find.  Some of these treatments helped, for a while.  In each case, the remedy eventually lost effectiveness and my condition came back as if I was using nothing for it.

Several years ago I had to see a dermatologist for another issue (I had a mole with a dark red center).  While I was there, I asked her about my flaky scalp.  She took a quick look, asked me if I had other conditions, to which I replied I had Crohn's disease, and she prescribed a prescription product called "DermaSmoothe".  (and the red center of the mole was simply a clogged pore!).

This medication has been a wonder drug for my psoriasis.  I've used it ever since and it controls my psoriasis quite well.  I don't use it as frequently as I should, however, I do use it when my symptoms get bad enough.  A single treatment provides me with immediate relief from the burning and itching of the psoriasis.  Sometimes I need to do 2-3 treatments to control the flaky skin.

If you suffer from psoriasis from your IBD / Crohn's Disease, I strongly recommend that you get a referral to a dermatologist about it.  If your doctor doesn't provide you with an adequate treatment plan, suggest the DermaSmoothe product, it has helped me a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment