Thursday, February 27, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: Imuran, bleeding, night sweats, & colonoscopy prep

I've been back on azothioprine for two nights.  On each nights after taking the drug, my stool turned black.  I did a quick search on azothioprine side-effects and found that both intestinal bleeding and black stools are a known side-effect of azothioprine.

The drug sites which listed this information mentioned that I should contact my doctor if I observed that side-effect.  I am electing to not contact my doctor right away.  I'm going to wait a few more nights and see if this problem continues.  To help with the problem, I'm going to take the azothioprine with food in the evening.  However, that will be difficult tonight because I'm starting my colonoscopy prep.  I may also switch to taking it in the morning to see if that helps.

I also experienced a very mild night sweat last night.  This sort of occasional night sweat is typical for me so I won't contact my doctor about it either.

My colonoscopy prep told me to start the prep "at breakfast".  I'm interpreting that to mean I get to eat breakfast (which I did) even though I bet that they intended for me to not eat breakfast.  I did, however, stick with low residue food (bagel and eggs).  However, for the rest of the day I only get clear fluids.  Since I'm on a business trip that will mean chicken broth and apple juice.

I also won't be able to take the ducolax when the prep instructions say to, since I'll be on an airplane at the time and can't risk having to run to the toilet.  I should be able to start the prep about 3-4 hours later though when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment