Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Diary of a Crohn’s Flare: CBC & Kidney blood tests


A couple of weeks ago, I had started experiencing night sweats while taking Imuran.  My doctor had me stop taking this drug pending the results of a number of blood tests.  He tested my:

  • CBC with differential
  • Kidney function
  • Ability to metabolize thioprine

I got the results of two of these tests back today.

The CBC showed all but one number in the normal range.  The out of bounds number (Lymphocytes) was too low.  I wonder if this is an effect of the Imuran (which I stopped taking about 2 weeks earlier).

My Kidney function test showed all tested numbers in range.  I mentioned in an earlier blog entry that my kidney function seemed mildly impaired.  The number that showed decreased function was the GFR.  I tested at 71 where a number above 90 was healthy.  I see the GFR on my comprehensive metabolic panel blood test (from back in December) and not my kidney function.  Because I don’t see comparable numbers, I can determine whether things have improved or not.

I don’t have my thioprine genetic test results yet.

My doctor ordered me to resume taking the Imuran, which I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment