Saturday, March 1, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: Colonoscopy prep tips

Since 1990, I've had more coloscopies than I can track.  My guess is that I've had 10-15 by now.


What to expect:
The day before the procedure.
Morning
You are supposed to not eat any solid foods on this day.  You should only consume clear fluids that contain no red.  My favorites are apple juice and chicken broth but Popsicles and Jello also work.


By mid-afternoon (2 pm ish)
You should take the two recommended laxatives (my doctor told me to take Dulcolax).

By early evening (5 pm ish)
You should begin to take the prep fluids (used to flush out your intestines).  Use the prep recommended by your doctor but ask if you can use the Miralax prep, this is by far the easiest prep I've taken.

If you've ever suffered from severe diarrhea due to the flu or food poisoning, then this should be your guideline to how you'll do with the prep.  Your rectal area will get very sore and may even start to spot bleed.  To help with this I use (generic) Preparation H wipes and before I start the process I use diaper cream or Preparation H ointment on my rectal area.  Both help prevent the inflammation and soreness that accompanies a bowel preparation by a lot.

Also, the bowel prep makes me feel cold.  So I dress in warm, loose fitting clothing for the whole evening (typically flannel pajamas or cotton sweats).  This helps me stay comfortable.  If you can, you might try to warm up the bathroom prior to starting.
After taking the prep for a while
It will seem like the prep isn't doing anything for you at first.  However, once your bowels start moving, you'll have to spend several hours in the bathroom.  With the Miralax prep the urgency to go wasn't as severe as it was with the other preps I've used.

At bedtime
I never quite feel like the prep has finished, so I end up going to bed feeling full and bloated like I'll have to have another bowel movement at any time.  I actually did have to get up for the bathroom three times.

No comments:

Post a Comment