Saturday, March 8, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: Imuran, bleeding, and night sweats

Since resuming my Imuran (azothioprine), I've been trying to monitor its affects on me.  I have noticed a link between taking Imuran and intestinal bleeding over-night.  In most cases the symptom of bleeding was that it had turned my stool black, however, one case, my stool was actually red.

By coincidence one night I took the drug earlier in the evening.  The next day my stool was normal colored.  Since then I've been experimenting with taking Imuran at different times and I've found that if I take the Imuran earlier in the evening with food that I don't experience any symptoms of bleeding.

So that's been my goal.  So far, I haven't done any bleeding that I can detect when I've taken the Imuran earlier in the evening with food.

When I first started taking the Imuran, I also experienced night sweats almost every night I had taken the drug.  Since resuming the drug, I've had only one moderate and one mild night sweat over the last two weeks.  I think this is a good sign.

One other thing of note, my rectal area still hasn't recovered from the bowel prep.  It remains inflamed and sore.  I've occasionally been treating it with diaper cream.  This provides a lot of soothing relief but I can't tell if it's been aiding in the healing of the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment