Saturday, March 8, 2014

Returning to Running: Week 4 Day 1

Short version: I got 4.5 miles in with 1 mile of walking for warm-up and cool-down.

Long version:
I intended to perform this run on Monday evening.  However, my flight was canceled and my replacement flight got me to the hotel after 10:30 pm.  By the time I got to the hotel it was too late for me to run.

So I planned to run my first work out of the week on Tuesday, only by Tuesday evening my Crohn's Disease was acting up and caused me tremendous pain in the gut.  I had trouble even eating Tuesday evening.  So I didn't run on Tuesday evening either.

So I planned to run my first work out of the week on Wednesday.  I was very grateful that by Wednesday evening I felt good enough to run.  On prior weeks I planned the first run as a 3 miler.  Since I was worried that this evening might be my only night to run, I went ahead and ran my longer distance.  When I started I planned to run 4 miles.

During the run though, I felt tired and out of breath.  In fact I despaired that I'd be able to run the whole distance so I mentally permitted myself to only run 3 miles.

By the time I got to the 3 mile mark, I must have gotten my second wind and had started to feel very good.  I extended my run out to 4 miles.

As I got to the 4 mile mark, I still felt good and pushed it out to 4.5 miles.  When I got there I still felt good but I decided that I didn't have enough time to spare to continue the run and I wanted to lift weights and I didn't want to injure myself, so I finished at that distance.

I was very pleased with the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment