Thursday, March 27, 2014

Diary of Crohn’s Flare: Stuffed!



I’m still learning to deal with the symptoms of this Crohn’s Flare.  They are unlike the symptoms I dealt with when my Crohn’s was active back in the 1990s.  One recurring symptom for me over the last 3 weeks has been after eating only modest amounts of food (solid or liquid) feeling absolutely stuffed, as I had eaten a large Thanksgiving dinner, accompanied by prominent abdominal bloating.
Since my visit to the hospital almost 2 weeks ago, this sensation after eating had ameliorated somewhat.  However, last Tuesday (3/25) after eating only ½ of a sandwich the full sense of being “Stuffed” came back.  The sandwich was a relatively benign (low-residue) affair with roast beef, French bread, Havarti cheese, salad dressing, and a tomato.  Since eating that sandwich I’ve felt persistently felt stuffed with only mild reprieves each morning.

Wednesday morning, I assumed that the reduced sensation meant that I was past whatever has caused the sensation, so I ate a moderate breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, and a bagel (all low-residue).  However, the stuffed sensation resumed and I wasn’t able to eat anything the rest of the day and was able to drink only about 12 oz of water through the day.

This morning (Thursday), I awoke with a much less pressure and bloating in my abdomen too.  However, I tried to incorporate my lesson from the previous day.  I only consumed a cup of coffee, about 10 oz of apple juice, and an Ensure nutritional shake.  This did not seem to aggregate the condition but I haven’t gotten any better either.

During my flight home, I broke down and ate some Cheetos and French fries.  Initially they seemed to sit OK but as I write this blog, I can feel the bloating and sense of feeling stuffed return.
I honestly can’t figure out what is causing this sensation.  Since I’m flying, I also don’t have the opportunity to do any internet research on the topic.

My main concern now is that if I can’t even stay properly hydrated with this symptom, how am I going to remain functional for work?  It also means that I won’t be permitted to taper from 50 mg / day of prednisone.  I am already beginning to feel the prednisone affect my body adversely (edema, jittery, problems sleeping, acne, and night sweats).  This too will affect my ability to work.
I had hoped to use the prednisone to bridge me through the eight weeks or so required for the azathioprine to take full effect.  I’m coming to the realization that I don’t have that much time and the choice is being taken out of my hands.

If I don’t see improvement in a few days, I may be forced onto Remicade or Humira to treat this flare.  I’ve already spoken with my doctor about both Drugs and due to cost considerations, I plan to start with the Remicade first.

If these don’t work, will they resort to intravenous feeding?

This is all brand new and scary territory for me.

Perhaps I should resume writing my ADA letter to my company.  Already my coworkers are completely missing the meaning of what I’m telling them about how this flare is impacting my life and ability to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment