Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Diet 3

This is a follow-up to two other posts that I wrote.  The first of these, Diet, was written 1.5 years ago towards the end of 2013.  The second, Diet 2, I wrote just a few days later.  I wrote a celebratory Full Diet post when my surgeon permitted me to resume eating normally late last year.  However, after that post I experienced a bowel obstruction and was reduced the liquid diet again for a while.

Since the first of these posts, I had a small bowel resection in which the diseased portions of my small bowel were removed.  That included a fistula (a hole in my intestine) and several strictures (almost closed off portions of the small bowel).  The normal / healthy size of the small bowel is approximately 1 inch to 1.5 inches in diameter.  At one point my small bowel was down to about 0.2 inches in diameter.

The correction of this problem has tremendously altered what I can and can't eat as well as changed other aspects of my life - mostly the chart has switch to "I can eat"!

My current, post-operative, food chart looks like this:


Food Type
Bleeding
Obstruction
Cramping
Gas
Diarrhea
No issues
Nuts






Popcorn & coconut






High fiber vegetables






Carbonated


Often
Often


Alcohol


Often
Often
Often

Spicy foods






Ensure / soy protein


Rarely
Rarely
Often

Caffeine






Dairy






Gluten






Low residue






Multivitamin






Pureed vegetables






 

I can now eat almost anything that I want.  I rarely get cramping or gas unless I consume very specific items.  This now only includes carbonated beverages, alcohol, or soy protein.  I can sneak in some carbonated beverages provided they're served in an open container.  This allows the worst of the carbonation to release into the air before I drink it.



I have very high hopes that as Remicade brings the inflammation of my disease under control that I will be able to resume drinking moderate amounts of alcohol when the mood strikes me.  However, I will probably continue to avoid the soy proteins and carbonated beverages.  I'm just too much in the habit of not drinking them and I don't really miss them much.

No comments:

Post a Comment