Thursday, March 5, 2015

Scrotal lumps

I had completely forgotten about this incident until something recently reminded me of it.

Prior to my first entry on high Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) values, but after my last kidney stone (so probably around May of 2012) I found a scrotal lump.  I'm not certain what caused me to detect the lump but I knew once I found it that I should bring it to the attention of my Urologist.

Scrotal lumps come in a variety of different descriptions and causes.  Some causes are benign and don't require treatment while others are malignant and require immediate attention.  I highly recommend that if you detect a lump, that you seek the attention of a Urologist.

I am not a medical professional, everything else you read in this post is my non-medical professional opinion.  You should seek the advice of a medical professional if you detect a lump.

Here's a guide to scrotal masses from the Mayo Clinic

In my appointment with my Urologist, he felt the lump and determined that it was both hard and not attached to other scrotal structures (e.g. a testicle or the vas deferens).  Both indicated that my lump was more likely benign and not malignant.  My doctor ordered an ultrasound of my scrotum anyway to ensure the lump was benign.

Unfortunately, the ultrasound was kept very cold and there wasn't much scrotum to play with :)   Note to medical professionals, keep your ultrasound rooms warm if you plan to ultrasound scrotums.  It didn't help that I was slightly uncomfortable because the ultrasound technician was a cute woman.  I think I may understand in a small way the problems some ladies encounter when seeing their male OB/GYN care provider.


Despite the inability to image the lump my doctor declare the lump not-worrisome.  He suggested that if lump caused pain or bothered me that I should return and he would perform a lumpectomy and then biopsy the material.

Unfortunately for me, the manipulation of that lump did cause persistent and long-lasting dull pain in my scrotum.  This lasted for a month or more but did eventually fade away without requiring a lumpectomy.

I am now regularly checking my scrotum for scrotal lumps and do occasionally find my original one.  It has not change in any way that I can detect over the last 2-3 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment