Saturday, March 14, 2015

Hospital bed to 5k: Program Graduation!

I cheated or rather I did not complete my training program.  Instead, I just skipped to the end. 

Despite a number of complications including 2 additional surgeries, it took me approximately 7 months to do this.

Perhaps my chore workouts did me more good than I thought, perhaps it was just residual fitness from my prior training programs - today I just went to my running trail and thought "I've got a 5k in me today" and ran.

Don't get me wrong, my legs hurt now.  My heart and lungs were ready for this but my legs will be sore tomorrow.  To help minimize this I refueled as soon as I got home and I will ice my thighs too.

I did do something different today, I brought our 1 year old Auzzie cattledog + border collie mix with me.  I tried this before last fall but he didn't do well then.  This time he behaved very well.

My running buddy behaving himself

After the run, I think he was more tired than me:

My running buddy 5 minutes after getting home


Without further adieu, here's my heart rate log:





During my run from last Wednesday, my heart rate averaged 130 bpm.  In this one my heart rate averaged 160 bpm.  This was definitely a tough work out.  As my leg fitness improves, I expect to do one workout per week even tougher than this one.  But this one suits me fine for now.

This is the first 5K run that I've completed in about a year.  Prior to this I have completed 5K distances but only been able to do so using run/walk intervals. 



Summary:

My total distance was more like 3.5 - 3.7 miles because I did a 5 min each of walking warm up & cool down but I didn't want to include that time in my distance reporting, lol.



Measure
Value
Unit
Distance
3.1
mi
Time
37
min
Avg HR
160
bpm
Max HR
184
bpm

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Funnily enough...I am right this moment composing my blog entry about restarting the C25K today. Go us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two days post run and my legs are *sore*! The would definitely benefit from some shorter runs. I intended to go out and walk 2 miles today to pump the blood around and loosen up the muscles but simply ran out of time.

      Delete