Sunday, March 8, 2015

Colonoscopy & Endoscopy with preliminary findings

Last Tuesday (3/3/15), I received perhaps my 16th colonoscopy and 5th endoscopy.  As far as the preparation goes, I got to use a Miralax prep.  I have to highly recommend that you ask your doctor whether you are eligible to use this prep.  It is much much better than any other prep that I have every tried.


Anesthesia
For this procedure, the physician used the following sedation:


#
Drug
Type
1
Demerol
Pain medication
2
Versed
Anti-anxiety & amnesiac
3
Benadryl
Antihistamine & hyponotic/sleep


With just the Demerol & Versed, normally I awaken during the procedure and chat with the doctors.  I assume as I started waking from sedation during the procedure this time, he juiced me up with the Benadryl to keep me asleep.

With the addition of the Benadryl, I was extremely "out of it" for many hours.  I have no recollection of anything from shortly after they injected my sedation medications until getting dressed.  I recall very little of anything until hours after I got home.


Endoscopy Findings
Essentially they found nothing wrong.

  1. Normal duodenum - biopsied
  2. Normal stomach
  3. Normal cardia and gastric fundus
  4. Z-line regular, 40 cm from the incisors
  5. Normal esophagus

Colonoscopy Findings
Essentially the only things they found wrong, we expected to find.

  1. Anal fissure and anal canal stenosis (narrowing)
  2. Patent end-to-side ileo-colonic anastomosis - biopsied
  3. Multiple erosions in the neo-terminal ileum - biopsied
  4. The entire examined colon is normal - biopsied

The anal fissure finding is consistent with my already known anorectal fistula.

The ileo-colonic anastomosis is the site of the join between my ileum to the colon.  The terminology given indicates everything at that join looks good (I think).

The erosions indicate returning of my Crohn's Disease.

My doctor mentioned sending some of the biopsy materials in to determine whether I might have Celiac's Disease.


I'll see my doctor at the end of April and we'll discuss the details.


No comments:

Post a Comment