Sunday, March 22, 2015

Non-running workouts

Since my surgery I have counted vigorous non-running activities towards my running goals.  However, without my heart rate monitor I really didn't know how much of a workout to credit myself with.

I've now taken heart rate recordings of both shoveling our horse shed and cutting firewood with a chain saw (but not splitting firewood yet).

Shoveling 1 side of our horse shed on 3/15/2015:


I take this as approximately 1 hour of moderately hard running (currently this ranks as about 4.5 mph) and so equates to a distance of 4+ miles.


Chainsawing firewood on 3/22/2015:

NOTE: I started the monitor late and so missed some of this activity.

I evaluate this workout as ~2 hours of moderately difficult running, for an equivalent distance of 8+ mile.

This also explains why running a 5K last weekend was easy for my cardiovascular system but absolutely killed my legs.  I'm remaining active but I'm not getting enough leg exercise.

I'm scheduled to go for a run today as soon as one of my kids ring back a vehicle.  I would run from my home but running on the trail is much safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment