Thursday, October 16, 2014

Hospital bed to 5K: Elliptical #1

Prior to my surgery my measured lung capacity was 5 liters (about 1.25 gallons).  After my surgery and then discovery of pneumonia my lung capacity had dropped to about 2 liters (about a 1/2 gallon).  I've been working with a spirometer to increase my lung capacity and over the last 3 weeks or so have built this up to 3.5 L.

Still, I find that I frequently feel out of breath after very light activity.

Because of that (and also because I do plan to run again), I started using our elliptical trainer at home.  Today I "walked" 1.5 miles in 20 minutes.  During this work-out my heart rate started off in the 130 beats per minute for the first 5-10 minutes and then rose into the 150s with a peak around 160 bpm.

I worked up a very good sweat, tired my legs out, got my heart beating hard, and got breathing very heavily.  I felt great getting started on running again.

In summary:
1.5 miles in 20 minutes.  Heart rate peaked at 160 bpm average around 145 bpm.

No comments:

Post a Comment