Friday, October 3, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: Debridement Follow-up

In my last post I mentioned that the surgeon closed my wound with 3 sutures.  Today (10/3), I had my surgical follow-up and had those sutures removed.

Unfortunately for me, I had forgotten about those sutures :)

The suture removal was more painful than I had anticipated.  This was because the surgeon grabbed the sutures with forceps and pulled them about 1 inch out of my skin before cutting them.  It stung quite a bit.

Luckily I had taken 2 of my pain pills (Norco) prior to the appointment thinking that he might perform an office wound debridement.

During the appointment he told me that he lifted all of my surgical restrictions.
  1. I am allowed a full diet again
  2. I may drive again
  3. I can run and exercise (as long as I let pain be my guide and stop when things start to hurt)
  4. I am allowed to resume work starting on Monday
  5. I no longer have restrictions on the amount of weight I can lift (using pain as my guide again)

Let me reiterate though that when I increase my activity, I often (but not always) require increased pain medication.


Along with the check-up of my surgical wound, he also checked my other problem: an anorectal fistula.  This fistula is the same fistula that he treated over the summer of 2013.  Since his last surgery, this fistula *almost* completely healed but never did quite finish healing.  With all of the other issues affecting me this year, this fistula elected to act up and cause problems.  As part of the fistula issues problems, I developed an abscess along the fistula track.

Over the last couple of weeks I began to develop a second fistula on the other side of my anus.  Right now, it is a very minor issue.  During this visit, I mentioned the new fistula to the surgeon, he saw it, noted its presence, but stated that for now we will leave it untreated.  He wants me to heal from the other issues before we address this second fistula.


The results of his examination was that I will get an "incision and drainage" and "seton placement" surgeries next Wednesday (10/8).  Because of the pain associated with this surgery (and my inability to sit after it), I'll require another week on disability and pain medication :(

No comments:

Post a Comment