Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Hospital Bed to 5K: Elliptical #3

  • It's been 2 months and 10 days since my major surgery on 8/11
  • It's been about 1 month since my surgical wound debridement on 9/17
  • It's been 13 days since my fistula incision and drainage done on 10/8

These intermittent procedures (as well as pneumonia) have hampered the speed of my return to running but it looks like I'm finally getting some time to begin rebuilding my cardio base.

I hesitated from using the Couch to 5K notation for my return to running because my recovery actually started with simple acts like walking through a grocery store or walking around the ward in the hospital.  It's hard to rank these small achievements in the orderly C25K.


Anyway, enough philosophizing for the day.

I wanted to get my third elliptical work out in yesterday, however, I felt tired and worn out both physically and psychically.  So, I took it as a rest day - no cutting wood, no elliptical, no doing anything but sitting around, but I did run some necessary errands yesterday.

Today I hopped onto the elliptical with the intent of going slower but staying on for 30 minutes.  My work out lasted 30.5 minutes for 2.2 miles.  I did a warm down of 3 minutes and eked out another 0.2 miles.

In Summary:
2.4 miles in 33.5 min on my third go with the elliptical. The last 3 min were all warm down. Average heart rate about 140 bpm with a max around 152 bpm.

No comments:

Post a Comment