Thursday, October 30, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: Back to work - for real

Although I've been permitted to work from home for a few weeks, my employer encouraged me to begin going to the office.  As I've resumed interacting with the outside world (going to social functions, resuming work, etc.), I've begun dressing in my pre-surgery clothes.  This has caused problems.

Cramping
Specifically, I am cramping.  My cramps are severe (up to pain levels of 4-5), frequent (after most meals), and long-lasting (once they start, it takes hours to calm my gut down).  I have both Bentyl and Levsin to treat this cramping both are considered anticholinergic or antispasmodic medications and work to calm the muscles in your digestive tract.

In the past, Levsin has been sufficient.  I am taking the average recommended dose for the Levsin to treat my cramping but this time, it doesn't reduce my pain at all.  I used to prefer taking Levsin to Bentyl because it was effective but didn't make me drowsy.  Now that it doesn't seem effective, it is not worth the side-effects.

For me, Bentyl has always been more effective then Levsin.  However, Bentyl tends to make me feel a little drowsy and a bit drugged.  So when I needed cramping relief during the work day, I had to use Levsin.  I reserved Bentyl for especially bad bouts of cramping or cramping in the evening.  However, since my surgery and use of pain medication, the Bentyl has remained effective at treating my cramping but has not made me drowsy at all.  Even better, my current dosage is 10 mg 3x day.  This is less than 1/2 the recommended dosage for treating cramping.  I am currently getting this script from my GP, but I will consult with him and my GI doctor and probably ask that my GI doctor write future scripts.  The main reason is that my GPs script only provides enough medicine for 10 days if I take it as prescribed (30 pills / 3x day = 10 days!).

Energy
Other than the cramping, I am finding that the length of the work days tires me greatly.  I suppose this means that my body hasn't fully recovered yet.

Comfort
On a plus side, after months of having problems with my body not being able to maintain the correct temperature, I seem to have recovered the ability to remain comfortable in a much wider range of environmental temperatures.

Molds
A few days before reporting to the office, I received a notice that this office has high levels of mold.  Since I am recovering from fungal pneumonia, this concerned me a great deal.  Therefore, I consulted with my Infectious Diseases doctor and asked him about this.  He reassured me that my antifungal medication Diflucan provides me with protection against opportunistic infections by the mold spores.

I have no idea if or how heavily my immune system remains suppressed after spending most of the year taking Prednisone and Imuran (Azothioprine) both of which suppress your immune system.

No comments:

Post a Comment