Friday, October 3, 2014

Hospital Bed to 5K: Celebration Day

Since my last post on this topic, written back in August, my doctors have permitted me to exercise all that I want.  However, the symptoms of fungal pneumonia (fever, aches, & pains) have prevented me from doing much in the way of exercise.

I have been doing things daily to keep active (going to grocery stores, household chores, walking around the yard, etc.), however, this activity hasn't done much to prepare me for returning to running.

I'm still at least 3 posts behind in my Diary of a Crohn's Flare and I don't want to spoil the developments, but today my surgeon lifted all remaining restrictions.  To celebrate my wife and sister-in-law took me out to a state park and we walked a (hilly) mile very briskly.  I am feeling this in my legs and in my wound this evening.  My legs are tired and a bit achy.  I won't know if I did too much until tomorrow.

My immediate plans for getting back into running trim involve first increasing my walking distances up to 3 miles.  Later I'll transition to the run-walk routine provided in the couch to 5K program.  The main difference is that when recovering from surgery, you must also listen to your wound.  If the wound begins hurting (for me it is usually a stinging sensation), then you should cease the exercise.

The other aspect to this is that when you exercise, you will need more pain medication.  Speak to your doctor about this and seek his opinion on how to trade-off between activity and pain management.  For me staying inactive significantly reduces my requirements for pain medication but it also increases the risks of blood clots and other problems.

In summary,

I walked 1 mile in 19 minutes today.
Later in the same day I walked another unmeasured distance (but I guess it at around 0.5 miles) in 9 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment