Thursday, October 16, 2014

Hospital Bed to 5K: Wood Cutting #1 & #2

Sorry about the pause in my posting.  I wasn't suffering any particular set-backs not was I particularly busy.

For the most part I have been doing light work around the house, doing grocery shopping, and simply walking around.

The last significant exercise I've done was cutting wood with a chainsaw on Sunday and Monday.  I spent about 30-40 minutes each day doing that.  This work was so arduous for me that I sometimes got to the point of starting to black out (saw darkness at the edge of my vision).  The work forced me to take 2-3 breaks on each day of 5 or more minutes each.

This work is necessary for us to lay-in a supply of firewood for our wood stove this winter.  We use it as supplemental heat for our geothermal heating system.

However, this work also provided me an excellent opportunity to build muscle strength and endurance.  The work made me a bit sore and achy the next day.  Due to surgery on 10/8 I am forbidden to use NSAIDs, so I just have to deal with those aches and pains.

I estimate that my heart rate got well above 160 beats per minute prior to each of my rest breaks so my cardiovascular system got a lot of exercise on these two days.  It also shows me that I require a lot more to get my lungs and heart back into shape.

In summary:
On Sunday, I did 30 minutes of cardio and strength training.

On Monday, I did 40 minutes of cardio and strength training.

No comments:

Post a Comment