Friday, October 17, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: Several Big Milestones

A Shower!
For the first time since the middle of June, I was able to shower without sealing a portion of my body away from water.  In June and July, I had to protect the PICC and midline dressings from water and since August I've had to protect my abdominal incision and wound from water.  My abdominal wound has finally scabbed and is emitting no exudate.  I still cover it with gauze but that is to keep my shirt fabric from rubbing against the (still sensitive wound).

Back to work!
I've mentioned this previously but I feel like it deserves to be mentioned again.  I've been on disability leave continuously since my July ER visit and hospitalization.  My bosses first instructions: update my work profile and contact two other resource managers about nearby projects.

I'll be starting my continuing education courses for work on Monday.

The two most promising projects looks like I'll be traveling (by car, thank goodness) to my next project.

Heavy duty chores
I went grocery shopping which took more than an hour and then helped unload and put away the groceries (either task would have wiped me out just a couple of weeks ago).

I also used the chainsaw so much I burned up 2 tanks of gas.  On my previous two times cutting wood, I wasn't able to even spend enough time to use up a single tank of gas.  Also after finishing my work, I (so far) haven't needed any pain medication!

Little pain!
I've also gone almost all day without any pain medication, not even a plain Tylenol.  I'm not certain how long I've taken pain medications daily but I know I occasionally had to take them, even back in March and April.

I have to admit that all of my major muscle groups are both sore and tired and I really wish that I could take an ibuprofen or two.  The pain mediation I can take might help with the pain a little but it won't help me recover from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment