Friday, November 21, 2014

Visit to the Infectious Diseases doctor

Due to a variety of infection problems (currently I have fungal pneumonia), my originally scheduled first infusion of Remicade (scheduled for ~6/1/14) has been repeatedly postponed - I still haven't had my first dose.

I saw my infectious diseases doc today about my progress with the fungal pneumonia. He said, "you look great!" but he won't schedule any diagnostics to evaluate my progress for another month.  When I get them, I'll get a chest CT scan and some blood tests.

While there I asked him about getting the Shingles virus. He said it is a live virus and I am in a uniquely good period of time to get it. Because of the pneumonia, I've stopped taking anything that could suppress my immune system. He said to get the immunization a minimum of 4 weeks before starting any immuno-suppressant therapies (like prednisone, Methotrexate, Azothioprine, 6-MP, or Remicade).

By policy, my insurance refuses to cover the immunization (I'm not old enough), however, I plan to get the shot anyway and appeal the decision based upon my current immuno-compromised status and anticipation of future immune suppression from drugs I'll be starting when I recover from the pneumonia.

No comments:

Post a Comment