Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Hospital Bed to 5K: W6D1

Hurmmmm

I intended to run the week 5 day 1 workout but did so by memory.  Instead, I ran the week 6 day 1 work out.  I still feel like I must go back and do the week 5 day 3 - 20 minute run workout before I attempt running a full 5K.

It was briskly cold last night (in the 20s?).  Luckily, I had most of my winter running gear and dressed appropriately. Since I ran after sunset on residential roads, I included all of my lighting and reflective gear so the cars don't cream me.

I felt too cold for the first third of the run.  I got comfortable for a while but then got too hot by the end.  Still the hot shower when I got back felt glorious.

I would have liked but did not need my gator (warm neck wear that can be pulled over your face) for this run.  I'll have to dig through my winter clothes and see if I can find that and my ear warmers (sometimes I need both the cap and the ear warmers).

Outfit
  • Running shoes
  • YakTrax for running on ice, I really needed this last night!
  • Wool socks
  • Winter leggings (which have extra warm thigh pads!)
  • Wicking underwear
  • Wicking shorts
  • 4 wicking shirt layers (one of which is specifically for cold weather)
  • Gloves
  • Wool cap
  • 2 reflects (one in front, one in back)
  • 2 lights (one in front, one in back)
  • Heart rate monitor strap and watch


Workout
  • 5 min brisk walk
  • 5 min stretch
  • 5 min run
  • 2.5 min walk
  • 8 min run
  • 2.5 min walk
  • 5 min run
  • 7.5 min walk
  • +2 min run
  • 5 min stretch
I ran an extra 2 minutes because "I felt like it".


Summary
2.0 miles running plus about 1.3 miles walking for a total of 3.3 miles in 37.5 minutes.
Average heart rate near 150 bpm with a peak a little above 165.  Once again, I seem lung limited and not heart limited on these workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment