Friday, November 7, 2014

Hospital Bed to 5K: W2D1

I ran this workout on 11/06.

Before starting this run, I had very nearly talked myself out of doing it.  I was *tired* and achy from an hour long drive home and not sleeping well the night before.  However, I put my earbuds in, turned on my warmup play list and got psyched up for doing the run anyway.

Because I had under dressed for my 11/04 run, I made sure to wear my extra warm running shirt.  I had just gotten home, I had a good idea of the outside temperature and felt that I did not need warm leggings.

Wrong.

The temperature dropped more than 10 degrees during the half hour that I spent getting ready to run.  Even worse, my hands and head got very cold.  My head got cold enough to cause a headache.  I did not pack my gloves, hat, gator, and ear warmers for this trip but I will need them in the coming weeks plus some more cold weather running gear for my torso.

I had planned a double loop route (running the same 1.1 mile route twice) to get the distance and time that I needed.  However, on the first loop, I very nearly got sprayed by a skunk.  I decided then that I was going to take a different route to get the rest of my run time and distance.  I did my best but I ended up getting back to the starting point without getting the entire run in.  Because I was suffering from a headache from being so cold, I elected to chalk this one up to experience and declare myself finished.

Summary
All W2 workouts are identical:

  • 5 min brisk walking warm-up
  • Stretch
  • 6x [90 sec run + 120 sec walk] (21 minutes)
  • 5 min brisk walking cool-down
  • Stretch
Do to the conditions, I only ran ~1.8 miles in 26 minutes.  My max heart rate (reached running up hill) was about 175 bpm.  Average heart rate probable around 155 bpm.

No comments:

Post a Comment