Sunday, November 9, 2014

Hospital Bed to 5K: W3.5D1

I missed running on Saturday (driving about getting a new dog) but I had an opportunity to run this evening - which I took.  I planned to run a C25K W2D2 workout (90 sec run + 2 min walk) but partway through the first run segment I decided I could run for 3 minutes and walk for 90 seconds.  And that's what I did.

If you are starting running for the first time do not follow my example.  More experienced runners may prefer another method that I use which is to just run the first day of each week's workout.  When you encounter a run that you deem "hard", then use that week as your starting point / base.

I am working through C25K for the third time in 4 years.  I've complete a marathon and was more than 1/2 way through training for my second marathon when my problems this year shutdown my training.  I'm pretty familiar with my body and what it can do.

I found my heart rate monitor strap and replaced the battery but it wasn't taking accurate readings.  I'm pretty sure the problem was that I didn't get hot enough to generate enough sweat to propagate the electrical signals that it uses. 

Despite that bit of bragging, there is a very steep and long hill that took almost the entire 3 minutes to climb during my run.  By the time I got to the top, I began getting the early signs of blacking out (I began losing color vision but hadn't started getting any tunnel vision).  However, at the point that I was losing color vision, my heart rate registered at 185 (extremely high for me).

I probably over did it and will decrease the work out to the standard W3 workout for my next run.

Summary
Workout was:
5 min walk
stretch
4x(3 min run + 90 sec walk)
3 min run
5 min walk
stretch

2.4 miles in 31 minutes.  Max heart rate 185 bpm (questionable).  Average heart rate 160 bpm (questionable)

No comments:

Post a Comment