Friday, November 14, 2014

Feeling good for a change

Over last summer I felt extremely unwell (as several trips to the hospital might indicate :) ).  This week I've achieved a couple of milestones that I wish to document.

Wound Progress
I've gone without a bandage over my abdominal wound for the last two days.  For the last couple of weeks, I had continued wearing a bandage for comfort.  The wound has scarred and scabbed over and isn't exuding anything, however, the skin and scar tissue near it is still highly sensitive.  The bandage helps keep my shirts from rubbing against this sensitive skin.

Previously, any single touch by a shirt didn't hurt, but over the day, it often led to high levels of pain. 

Currently, I can feel that the skin and scar tissue is slightly aggravated at the exposure to the shirt but the pain level is minimal (1-2).

Well-being Progress
I've actually started feeling good.  When performing my work out last night, I felt strong and capable.  When walking through stores, I'm able to stand straight and tall (not hunched over in pain or grasping the cart for support or stability).

While my diarrhea and cramping still cause me to feel less than 100%, I've definitely recovered to the 90%.  I'm considering adding strength training to my aerobic exercise to accelerate my physical recovery.

Despite feeling like I've recovered 90% of my sense of well-being, I still have a long way to go to recover my actual capabilities (strength, endurance, stamina, balance, aerobic capacity, etc.).  I will only recover those things by continuing to challenge myself - which is what I'm trying to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment