Monday, November 17, 2014

Hospital Bed to 5K: Strength Training

Also known as heavy chores :)

Sunday (11/16/2014), I spent winterizing the family mini-farm.  Just two weeks ago I could not have done this work but it presented no problems to me yesterday.  It felt good to move my body around and today I am suffering mild muscle aches all over my body that I now associate with "good workouts".

My heavy farm chores consisted of (in almost equal parts):
  1. Hauling horse bedding
  2. Shoveling the horse shed
  3. Pulling out & dumping the full horse waters
  4. Moving already cut firewood
  5. Unrolling and pulling into the field our new 130 foot hose

My light farm chores consisted of:
  1. Arranging extension cords for water tank heaters
  2. Dumping and spreading horse bedding
  3. Cleaning and putting back the cleaned horse waters
  4. Running the horses into the shed
  5. Watching my "almost" step-grandchild
I spent about 2 hours doing these activities.  I probably did get a mild aerobic workout from this activity but I'll count it as strength training instead.  The areas that got the most workout were back, core, shoulders, and arms.

Updated 2/14/15 some pictures to go with the prose.

My youngest talking with our horse Zander


<4 -="" br="" disking="" firewood="" major="" months="" post="" surgery="">


Son Aaron - splitting firewood



Fruits of our labor - did I mention oak is very hard to split?



Our horses enjoy nap time in the sun.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment