Saturday, August 30, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: Slept through the night!

With the pain and diarrhea I regularly suffer from, it has been uncommon for me to sleep through the night and sleeping through the night has been a cause for celebration (as well as causing me to feel much better through the day).

Since I developed my second abscess (diagnosed on 6/8), the frequency of me sleeping through the night has decreased dramatically.  Most nights I've been awoken at least once each night due to pain AND once due to diarrhea (needing to use the restroom).  It has not been uncommon for me to awaken more than once for each of these reasons.

Since my surgery on 8/11 I have not slept more than about 3 consecutive hours at a time and on some nights have gotten as little as 2 hours of sleep.  For instance, on the evening of 8/28, I only got 4 hours of sleep (I had two stretches of 2 hours of sleep).  In between sleeping, I've either been in too much surgical pain to sleep or my intestinal cramping and diarrhea has kept me on the toilet.

However, last night I got to bed at 11 pm (when I took my last pain pill of 8/29) and I slept continuously until 5:50 am (at which time, I had to use the toilet and did not require pain medication).  This meant that I got more sleep in one night then I've had since surgery, I also had the longest continuous stretch of sleep for a long time (probably more than a couple of months), AND it also means I went 7 hours with no pain medication (I'm not certain this is the longest stretch I've gone since surgery but it is certainly within the top two).

I did take pain medication at 6:00 am because the debrided wound was feeling raw but my pain levels were manageable, probably a 3-4 on my pain scale.  The pain medication reduced my discomfort but this morning I'm still not comfortable.  I plan to take another pill at 10 am to see if I can make myself comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment