Sunday, August 10, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: Things to take to the hospital

Most of my hospitalizations (including my major surgery in 1998) started with a trip to the ER.  This is one of the rare situations (for me) in which I'll be checking into the hospital in a more orderly manner.

From my frequent trips to the ER, I've developed a list of things that I like to bring with me.  I thought I share that list along with the other things I want to bring with me to the hospital tomorrow:

Things to bring:
  • Book / something to read / something to entertain you
  • Computer (so I can blog!)
  • Ear phones (so I can listen to things without disturbing my lovely wife)
  • Neck pillow (like the ones people use on airlines - it makes semi-reclining in bed more comfortable and supports your head so you don't slump.  It also works as a small pillow for my elbow and to hold across my abdomen when I cough)
  • Running socks (made of wool & silk, these keep my feet warm but don't let them get sweaty)
  • Pajama shorts (I wear these under my surgical/hospital gown)
  • Long pajama pants for when I get cold
  • Preparation H wipes (hospital doesn't provide them, I prefer to use these when cleaning after a bowel movement since it only takes one wipe to get completely clean)
  • Diaper cream (with my Crohn's Disease, I have 8 or more bowel movements a day and my bottom gets very sore and sometimes bloody from it)
  • Multiple change of clothes
  • Eye drops/gel (they taped my eyes shut and this really irritated my eyes)
  • Phone charger 
  • Talcum/baby powder (to put on my legs underneath the compression socks) and anywhere you might get sweaty.
  • Seasoning (Hospital food tends to be very bland.  When you're permitted to add pepper to your food, you should be permitted to add other seasonings.  I bring Jane's Crazy salt to make the food more interesting).

Things to wear (you typically swell after surgery, so ensure the clothing you bring to wear afterwards is very loose fitting):
  • Loose cotton shirt
  • (Loose) Shorts
  • (Loose) Sweat pants
  • (Loose) Underwear
  • Cotton socks or running socks (I like the running socks because they keep your toes/feet warm but they also wick away any sweat so your feet never get sweaty).
  • Crocks (the no-slip rubber means I can slip them on and wear them during recovery)

Things to take off
  • My rings
  • My running watch

No comments:

Post a Comment