Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Hospital Bed to 5K: Second Week

Unlike the couch to 5K or other training programs, my recovery from surgery doesn't include a well defined work out plan.

When I feel good (my surgical pain is under control), I get up and do things.  When I'm feeling especially well, I accompany my family members (who drive) to the store and walk through the aisles with them.

I don't know the distances I walk (although I should ask my wife to map my run, lol), but I suspect the total distance walked is a 1/4 mile or more for each trip.  What I've noticed is that when I increase my activity, I generally experience increased pain later in the day.  Sometimes the increased pain is enough that I take an extra pain pill.  Usually, it just makes me more uncomfortable and less willing to move around in the house.

The benefits of keeping active include medical things like lower chances of developing blood clots in the legs (I am at increased risk for this), lower chances of developing pneumonia (I suspect my compromised immune system leaves me at increased risk for this too), and lower chances of developing bed sores from sitting and sleeping on the same pressure points on my back, bottom, and legs.

Keeping active also improves the rate of healing of the wound.

For the record, my second week of activity included about 6 trips including trips to the grocery store, library, and doctor's offices.  The distance walked for each trip equaled about 1/2 mile each.  Total distance for the week 3 miles or so plus incident movement around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment