Monday, August 4, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: Disability and work

Since last May, I've been working from home when I can.  When I'm at home but don't feel like I can work, I've taken PTO (paid time-off) which counts as both my sick leave and vacation leave.

Because I've missed so much work, I requested the paperwork required for intermittent disability leave.  I completed my portions of the documentation and then left the forms with my GI doctor.  They completed the forms and returned them to my employer.

Work granted me intermittent disability leave of up to 3-4 days for 3-4 times each month.

With my recent hospitalization and the drugs I'm taking now, I really don't feel like I can work at all (between feeling dopey from the drugs, tired from the condition, and pain).  So I requested the paperwork for full-time disability (I'll need it for the surgical recovery anyway).  I've completed this paperwork and turned the documents over to my surgeon.  I haven't heard whether this paperwork has been completed or accepted yet.

I don't know whether I should pursue social security disability or not.  I mentioned earlier this year that 'd look into doing that but I have not investigated the issue yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment