Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: Gas, Bloating, and Cramps

Since my abdominal surgery I have experienced a variety of different feelings and pains.  One of these has been intestinal gas, increased diarrhea, abdominal bloating, severe cramps, and pain from those cramps.  The pain from this gas cramping often exceeded the pain of the incision!

I did not understand what might have been causing the gas, diarrhea, and cramping but eventually I remembered that Ensure nutritional shakes had induced intestinal gas in me on previous occasions.  So I tried cutting the Ensure out of my post-surgical diet and my gas cramping and most other related symptoms (especially the pain) decreased by 80% or more.

Because I have no known milk allergy or sensitivities, this puzzled me until I carefully read through the ingredients of Ensure.  Ensure includes soy oil and soy protein.  I have no known soy allergy, I suspect that I could have a soy sensitivity.  Alternatively, since I do not eat soy products very often, my gut biota might not be able to easily break down soy oil and protein.

Regardless of the reason, the elimination of Ensure from my diet really helped me.  If you are suffering from these sorts of symptoms, try eliminating foods that are not part of your normal diet.  There's a reasonable chance that foods new to your diet could be causing the problems.  Sometimes these foods are hidden within a product you've added (such as when I added Ensure to my diet).

No comments:

Post a Comment