Sunday, August 10, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: Count down to surgery

Warning: I am NOT a medical professional, you should follow the advise of your doctor in the areas related to your health.


This is the surgical count down that I was given by multiple people (the surgeon, the hospital, and the home health care nurses).

Two and a half weeks before surgery
  • Schedule surgery
  • Discuss diet with doctor (low-residue)
  • Discuss activity level with doctor (walking is fine but no running, no lifting more than 8 lbs)
  • Discuss medications with doctor
  • Arrange IV antibiotics at home

One and a half weeks before surgery
  • Surgical consultation (surgeon isn't sure what he'll have to do, he's given me a range of possibilities which I'll discuss in another post).

7 days before surgery:
  • Stop taking supplements (vitamins, minerals, and other supplements)
  • Stop taking NSAIDS and blood thinners (doctor said it was OK to continue with the weak heparin solution for the IV flush).
  • Get the house's financials in order
  • Get my college kid's college paid for
  • Arrange for my kids to go to GenCon :)
  • Hair cut
  • Cut finger and toe nails 
  • Wean myself from coffee (so I don't get withdrawal headaches in the hospital)

24 hours before surgery:
  • Adopt clear fluid diet (sherbet does not count as a clear fluid :( , Italian ice does :) along with Broth, Jello, Italian Ice, Cranberry juice).
  • Pack for hospital
  • Wash sheets (so I have clean sheets when I get home)

18 hours before surgery:
  • Last IV antibiotic dose
  • Last dose of oral medications (down to just 3 oral medications now!)
  • Charge my cell phone
  • Pack my computer

12 hours before surgery:
  • Last food before surgery 
  • Last water before surgery

6 hours before surgery:
  • Last shower before surgery
  • Scrub my entire belly with surgical scrub

2 hours before surgery:
  • Check in at the hospital
  • Since I have the PICC line already installed, some of the prep work won't be necessary.  I hoping they put me out after not too long :)

No comments:

Post a Comment