Monday, August 4, 2014

Diary of a Crohn's Flare: Rapid Steroid Taper

In preparation for my surgery scheduled 8/11, I am tapering off prednisone rapidly.  This involves dropping by 10mg / day of prednisone every 4-5 days.  I've performed one drop (from 30 mg/day to 20 mg/day) and will do another on the day after tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the rapid taper leaves me feeling unwell in a nonspecific way.  I can't point to any single issue (pain, achiness, etc.) that makes me feel bad, however, I do not feel very good.  I often feel hot & sweaty despite not having a fever.  Pain comes and goes in my gut (but I can't honestly say I know this is due to the prednisone taper).  I'm tired and listless, sometimes falling asleep while working on my computer (like right now).

Despite tapering off the prednisone, I've broken out in acne all over my back :(

Some days are better than others.  Some days I've needed as little as 3 1/2 pain pills.  Other days, I've needed the maximum dose and wanted more.

Between the abscess / infection, opiate pain meds, benadryl with my twice daily IV antibiotics, Phenargan (anti-nausea medications), and the steroid taper; I'm not very energetic.  I'm finding it hard to get much of anything done.

No comments:

Post a Comment