Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Returning to Running: Week 9 Day 2

Monday was a beautiful day.  Despite feeling completely exhausted from a day of travel, I elected to go for a run.  My goal was 2 miles - I completed 3 miles (of running + 1/2 mile of walking warm-up and 1/2 mile of walking cool-down).

Good stuff:
  • I did more than I hoped I could.
  • I felt good during the run.
  • Much of the sense of utter fatigue faded after running for a half mile or so.

Bad stuff:
  • I ran much slower than I used to before my Crohn's flare.
  • My heart rate was high (perhaps as much as 20 bpm higher than before my flare) for an equivalent work-out.
  • My heart rate got well into zone 5 by about 1.5 miles into my run.
  • My belly started hurting during the last mile of the run.
  • I had gut pain all through the night and into today.

Over the last 2 weeks or so, I've had 3 set-backs in regards to gut issues.  Coincidentally, all three of these set-backs occurred immediately after I did my last 3 runs.  I'm not convinced that the running is the issue, however, I can't disregard this either.

My plan is to do a simple walk for my next work out and see how I respond to that.  If I feel well from the walks, I will perhaps try another run sometime next week and see if I get the gut pain again.

No comments:

Post a Comment