Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Return to Running: Week 8 Day 3

Like the other days from this "week" of running (which is actually taking more like 2 weeks :) ), I'm posting this update a couple of days late.

After my walk on Saturday, I thought about what might be causing my dizziness and I decided that with my reduced calorie intake, I might be having problems maintaining my blood sugar levels.  Essentially, my body had no glycogen reserves for fueling the muscles and so was burning through my blood sugar too quickly.  So for my next planned work-out, I decided to drink a Gatorade to help keep up my energy levels.

On Monday I had a chance to try out my hypothesis and that did seem to work.  I walked briskly (between 3.7 & 4.0 mph) on a 1% incline for 3 miles.  It took me around 47 minutes.  I didn't feel light-headed at all - except after I stepped off the treadmill, which isn't unusual for me.

In fact, I felt very good after this walk and, if I can keep my calorie consumption up, I plan to try my first run on Wednesday evening.  I'll use Gatorade again during the run and I plan to keep it to 2 miles or less - using the opportunity to see what my "new normal" is in regards to running.  I also plan to bring an Ensure and drink that as an after run refueling.

On a side note, the massive dose of prednisone adds another dimension to the problems of running.  My legs are swollen & tired and I feel chronically fatigued.  My running over the last several years enables me to use will-power to override the sense of not having enough left to do the run but I am certain that I wouldn't be able to do this if I hadn't already built my running base.  I'll just have to see if I can add anything to the base while still taking the medication.

No comments:

Post a Comment