Thursday, February 19, 2015

Restart - 2/14 workout

I performed this workout on  2/14 rather than the post date of 2/19.

History

I had gotten up to week 5 of the Couch to 5K (C25K) program before Christmas of 2014.  However, the week before Christmas I was exposed to and contracted a mild case of the flu.  That combined with my existing lung problems knocked me out of training for several weeks.

When I finally recovered enough to resume vigorous workouts, I needed that time to perform chores around the house instead of performing dedicated running routines.  However, this last week, someone motivated me to perform a dedicated "run" workout.  Besides it was way too nasty outside to perform vigorous outside chores.

Details

I use the " marks because my workout was actually on an elliptical machine.  The workouts are similar but still different.  Someone just used to one sort of workout (e.g. running) would usually get quite sore trying to perform that same routine on the other.

Anyway, I walked/ran for about 30 minutes.  My average speed was over 4.5 mph with my peak speed above 5.5 mph.  Normally for me, this is "no man's land" - too slow to run and too fast to walk.  However, the large "step" of the elliptical means that if I put in a slow run's worth of exertion, my steps per minute (spm) is slower than when running but I actually move faster than my spm would move me on pavement.

Anyway, I've restarted running (HURRAH!).

Summary



Measure
Value
Units
Distance
2.5
miles
Time
30
min
Avg. Heart Rate
125
bpm
Max. Heart Rate
135
bpm
 
My heart rate indicated that this was not a difficult workout at all.  However, my legs and lungs disagreed.  They thought this was a moderately difficult workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment