Sunday, January 25, 2015

Colorectal Surgeon visit and other stuff

I had a another doc visit today - my colorectal surgeon. He's following-up on the three fistula surgeries he performed on my fistula in 2013 (Incision & Drain, Seton placement, and Fibrin glue closure) and three more in 2014 (bowel resection, wound debridement, and another incision and drainage). He inspected my two current anorectal fistulas.  On all of these issues he gave me 2 thumbs up and agreed that I could resume playing volleyball :)

He received the note from my Infectious Diseases (ID) doc stating that he approved the use of biologicals like Remicade to treat my Crohn's Disease.  He told me that Remi has a higher chance of successfully resolving my fistulas than any surgical treatment he could offer.  He highly recommended that I proceed with the biological therapy.

I've now gotten the approval of two of my doctors to begin treating with biologicals.  I still need the approval of my final doctor, my GI.  I see the Gastroenterologist (GI aka ordering doctor) on Tuesday 1/27.  At this appointment, I expect to get his approval and schedule an infusion while in his office.

Wish me luck.

My GI doctor ordered me to resume my Azathioprine (AZA aka Imuran).

In other news my AZA script which cost $30/month last year, now costs $90/month.  I'm in my deductible window so I pay 100% of all medical costs until the deductible is met.

AZA costing $90/month

6MP costing $90/month
MTX costing $15/month

In other news I received on the same day.  The two blood tests performed on my on 1/15 were a Liver function panel (hepatic) and a Cryptococcus "titer" - which I think looks for my antibodies to the Cryptococcus fungus.


I tested positive twice back in September.  A positive titer means that the organism is in my blood and able to spread (very bad news).

A negative titer does NOT mean my body eliminated the Cryptococcus but it does mean it no longer circulates in my blood - which means it can't spread (very good news).

Combine this with the positive CT scan results and I think I'm medically ready to move forward with Remicade.

No comments:

Post a Comment