Friday, August 2, 2013

Running with Crohn’s: Fistula Post-op


Running with Crohn’s: Fistula Post-op

I am once again NOT talking about the drugs I have used so far (although I have started writing that), because I want to slip in this fistula post-op report.

The following contains graphic detail, biological functions, and very personal experiences; some may find it offensive:

I developed a fistula probably around November of 2012.  I did not actually see the doctor about the symptoms because “I wasn’t positive” that I had a fistula.  However, in April of 2013, I exhibited unambiguous symptoms that I had a fistula (blood and pus in my underwear).  Since then I have had three surgeries.

The first surgery just drained the giant abscess that had developed (roughly the size of an extra-large egg).  This allowed most of the infection to drain and the inflammation caused by such a massive infection to recede.  Since it involved cutting, it was a painful experience.  On the other hand, the draining of the abscess relieved a lot of pain caused by it.  On balance, I felt better than I did before the surgery and I bounced back quickly.  By the time the doctor permitted me to resume running, I was extremely eager to return to the running.  However, I took it easy and began by running just two miles.  In the two weeks, I had between this surgery and the next, gradually worked my way back up to running six miles.

In my second surgery, the doctor found the track of the fistula (he was not able to do this in the first surgery because I had such a bad abscess), placed a rubber band like object (called a seton) through the fistula, and irrigated the track to help flush out any infection.  This surgery was even less painful than my first for this fistula.  Do not get me wrong, I was sore; it just was not as bad as I feared it might be.  It took several days after the seton placement for my inflammation around the fistula continued to recede.  Similar to my last surgery, I was able to work my way back up to six miles prior to my third surgery.

I had my last surgery on Wednesday (7/31).  This surgery was the doctor’s first attempt to heal the fistula.  In prior surgeries, the fistula was too infected to attempt to close it.  The doctor removed the seton, irrigated the whole track of the fistula, and then glued the entire fistula track closed with glue (called “fibrin glue”).  My pain upon getting home was (and still is minimal).  I suffer from occasional stinging sensation and general discomfort from having the doctor poke around.  Even though the pain is minimal, I am attempting to restrict my activity.  Too much activity could rip open the glued fistula.  The doctor did permit me to resume running 4-5 days after the surgery, so I plan to perform a trial run on Monday.  I will perform a two-mile run on a half-mile loop so I am no more than ¼ from the car at any time.  Until then, I will take Beth on short walks on the Greenfield walking trail.


This illustration shows several possible fistula tracks.  My first fistula followed the innermost track (just going under the skin but not penetrating any muscle).  My latest fistula follows the transsphincter fistula track which penetrates both muscle groups.  The first type of fistula is easy to heal.  My latest fistula is much more difficult to correct.

For any of you who might require a fistula surgery in the future, I will describe my experiences here.

My surgeries begin with checking into the surgery center (an outpatient surgery facility).  After waiting for a while, the center personnel call me back into a changing area.  After changing into the surgical gown (a typical hospital gown), they have me hop onto a gurney.  It usually takes about an hour of prep to get me ready.  Most of this time they ask me question and fill out forms.  They then place gauze soaked in numbing gel onto my fistula opening (read that as “butt crack”) and put an IV into my arm.  They inject sedation medications as the wheel me into the surgical suite.  The drugs include versed (an amnesiac and anti-anxiety medication), fentanyl (a strong painkiller), and propofol (a hypnotic, or sleep agent).  The procedure usually last 5-15 minutes and it usually takes about 30-45 minutes for me to recover sufficiently to walk out of the surgery center.  My perception of the time is that I wake up about 30 seconds after being injected with the sedation medicine.

While I am unconscious, the doctor injects a nerve block to numb my rectum and urinary track completely.  The numbness can last for many hours (up to 12 for me on one occasion).  It obviously helps with surgical and post-surgical pain but can also cause unpleasant side effects.  One that the doctor has warned me about but I have never experienced is the inability to urinate (I have not had any problems urinating).  A side effect the doctor did not warn me about but I have experienced is incontinence.  After my second surgery, I experienced severe abdominal cramping and pressure.  I tried to hold this as I slowly made my way to the restroom and thought I had succeeded, however, when I got onto the toilet I discovered I had failed :( .  After recovering feeling, I regained control of bowel movements.

Upon waking from surgery, I usually feel a bit wobbly.  On the day of surgery I make a point of taking the maximum prescribed dose of pain medicine until I get a better idea of how much pain I will be in.  Usually on the second day I begin weaning myself off of the prescription pain killers.  With these three surgeries that meant using only 1/2 of the pain pills.

11 comments:

  1. I'm finding this more fascinating than I probably should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a mind that craves information. You like knowing the how and why of things. PLUS you deal with the human body on a near daily basis. I don't think your fascination is at all odd.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this, bro! ... Ran a nice 10 miler last night, surgery (seton + track) this morning ... Hoping I'm walking by weekend and running (sensibly) next week. Any discomfort running with the seton?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi brother if you are still suffering from fistula then i have a very simple permanent cure for you and believe me it works very well. Drink one bowl raw milk by squeezing half lemon in it. Just squeeze half lemon in the milk, stir it and drink immediately. Take it daily in the morning in empty stomach. You have to take it daily for six months. Within first seven days you will get results. It will prevent further occurring of Fistula. If after six months you feel like fistula is occurring again you can again start the same process. It has no side effects. You can take it for life time. One I was a fistula patient and had operations two times. But now I just drink it daily and it has helped me a lot. If you have any queries then you can mail me at souradeepchouhan@gmail.com.
    Thanks brother and I hope you read this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I had a seton surgery recently and, as an avid runner, I'm wondering how damaging it could be to run with the stitch? Any advice would be helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you gotten any advice or made head way in training since this post? I've only run 4 miles Max since mine with minimal issue but, like you it sounds, am hesitant to really push

      Delete
  5. Always speak to your Dr. about your specific situation...

    But I recently (10/24) got a seton placed again too :). I figure I'm OK to resume running now.

    Always listen to your body though. If running causes more than normal bleeding or pain, then reduce or stop running and perhaps start with walking.

    Basically once the swelling, bleeding, etc. from the initial surgery have stopped, then you should be able to restart all of your normal activities. Just restart them cautiously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In March 2018 I developed a large ischio-rectal abscess. I was admitted to hospital for 10 days and it was drained in theatre. ( I also had a rectal abscess in 2003 )

    Unfortunately the same is ischio-rectal abscess recurred in early November 2018 and I was back in hospital for another 10 days. Both times the abscess was drained. I decided to seek a second opinion from a Colorectal surgeon.

    He said he would fit a seton (mine is exactly the same as a thin cable tie) so as to create a permanent fistula, so that should the abscess ever recur, it could self drain, and would eliminate the need for surgery.

    So my seton (cable tie) is a loop that runs thought the incision that was made to reach the deep abscess ( about 20mm from my “asshole”) up through the wound/fistula and then through my rectum and joined on the outside.

    The problem is that the cable tie moves around, and for some reason the head/join has a natural tendency to work its way into the wound and get stuck in there. This causes a lot of discomfort when running, as it feels like someone is stabbing the wound with a knife.

    I have learned to pull the “joint” of the cable tie out of the fistula, so that it is outside my body. Obviously this causes bleeding and larger discharge of pus than normal. But within 30 minutes it’s back in there, and often it’s so painful that I actually cannot even get it out. I have to wait for when I bath, as that obviously softens the skin, which definitely makes moving the seton much easier.

    I’m currently training for a 56km Ultra Marathon, and finding that the pain is definitely getting worse as I increase my mileage. I’m actually on the verge of throwing in the towel on my running, until the seton is removed in about May 2019.

    Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yadré, how is the training coming along? I've run 3 ultra marathons of 50k distance until I had my abcess and subsequent seton placement this last winter. I've been very hesitant to up mileage, only running 2-4 miles since. It's been emotionally discouraging. I had to release bibs of 2 Ultras that I had purchased prior to all this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been training since about October of 2018. I've only performed the occasional run for fun. I had 3 fistula surgeries and multiple other medical problems since then :(

    However, my last set of surgeries (ligation of intersphincter fistula tract - LIFT) resolved my fistula issue. As far as I can tell, my fistula healed and I have no more issues! I plan to resume running as soon as I finish a very difficult work deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey bros, how did your running with Seton go?
    How long did you run with Seton?
    I did a 4mile today with 2 week Seton, I was psychologically attached to Seton my entire run for 35mins (a slow jog)

    ReplyDelete