Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Running with Crohn’s: My first post-surgery run



Running with Crohn’s: My first run

In my last entry, I discussed the approach I used in previous recoveries and wished to use for this recovery.  Today I tried it.

My goal was 3.0 miles (walk 0.5 miles, run 2.0 miles slowly, and then cool down with a 0.5 mile walk).  However, after running almost 1 mile, I started to sting at my surgery site.  I decided discretion was the better part of valor and ended my run.  This made me realize that I never discussed another important part of returning to your training: setting limits.

I *always* set running goals and these represent what I want to accomplish.  However, I also always set limits.  I set limits to keep from harming myself during regular training.  These include heart rate limits (slow down if I get into zone 5), limits on pain (quit the run if I get abnormal pain in my joints), and other limits depending upon the run.

Because my recent surgery involved gluing my fistula shut, I set this run’s limit as any pain associated with the fistula.  After 1 mile of running, I experienced stinging in the fistula and so I quit running.

If you are recovering from injury or surgery, I highly recommend following your doctor’s advice.  Usually this means, if it hurts, quit doing it.  In the long run, you’ll recover more quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment