Friday, August 16, 2013

Running with Crohn’s: The Good News


Running with Crohn’s: The Good News

I underwent my third surgery for a fistula on 7/31/13.  I went to my post-surgery follow-up appointment today.

I dreaded the appointment today.  I felt either the doctor would declare me healed and trundle me back to work or he would tell me that I needed another surgery.  I did not want either of those pronouncements because I feel good but I am still experiencing many of the symptoms that lead to the same surgery. 

WARNING: graphic description of bodily functions below:

What the doctor said was, “No exam today, because I will not be able to tell how you are progressing.  Tell me how you are feeling.”  I told him, I am still experiencing discharges and often see pus in my stool.  He told me that both of those symptoms are normal for this phase of my recovery.  He also told me that he wants me to resume normal activities and to come back in three months to see how I progress.

What this means:
  • I am permitted to return to work immediately
  • I am permitted to run the US AF Marathon 10K race and I have enough time to prepare for it and attempt a 10K personal record (PR) time.
  • I am permitted to run the Monumental Marathon Half Marathon and I have enough time to train for that too.
  • Just because I may do these things does not mean I am healed.
  • I am permitted to resume my training immediately (so I went out and ran a 5K today out of exuberance!)
After getting the news, I felt euphoric and full of energy.  I seriously underestimated the level of stress I was under from the uncertainty of these surgeries.


Also, for anyone following my blog, I am still working on new entries.  I am just working on a particularly difficult entry right now so it may take a couple of more days to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment