Thursday, August 8, 2013

Running with Crohn’s: My second run


But perhaps I should call this entry “Do as I say, not as I do”

On Sunday, I wrote about my disciplined approach to resuming running and on Tuesday, I wrote about my first post-surgery run and that I stopped early to ensure that I did not complicate my recover. However, I ran again on Wednesday.  I did this partially because I felt fine and because I felt cheated out of running the distance I wanted to run.

During my run, I felt fine, so I ran the distance that I wanted to run (two miles).  However, I began hurting later in the day and continued hurting the rest of the day.  I should have taken my planned rest day.

On Thursday, I walked a mile with my wife (who is recovering from major surgery).  Afterwards, I shopped at a large box store and a variety of smaller stores.  My total walking distance was over 2.0 miles.  It has caused me to start hurting again, so I had to take part of a pain pill.  Until I can walk and not feel pain, I am going to stop running.

I guess the point of this entry is: have patience.  Recovery from injury or surgery is not linear.  You will have good days, so take advantage of them.  You will have bad days, and you must listen to your body and take it easy when you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment