Monday, January 26, 2015

Still no running - but lots of other stuff

I still haven't resumed running since the flu diagnosis I received on 12/19.  I feel completely recovered (and have felt that way for weeks).  I am also mentally ready and willing to resume.  However, I've been too busy doing other activities requiring a great deal of physical activity.

Almost every day I've been splitting some firewood (15 minutes or more).  On one day last weekend, I spent 2 hours splitting firewood.  This work is great for an upper body workout and provides good high exertion aerobic activity but it doesn't do much for my legs.

Similarly, I've been spending at least 30 minutes a week shoveling out the horse shed for our two horses.  This is moderately intense physical exertion and gets my heart rate into the 150s.

Lastly, last Friday (1/23) I had to dig out our septic system.  Another 20 minutes of moderately intense physical activity.

Summary
I have not done any running :(

But I'm keeping plenty active.  I am putting almost as much time into doing these hard chores as I'd like to put into running.

I estimate that I spend 4 or so hours per week doing vigorous physical activity (heart rate above 130 bpm).

No comments:

Post a Comment