Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Running with Crohn’s: Prepared for that to suck




This year I began training for my second marathon (it was supposed to be the US AF Marathon, on September 21, 2013).  I had gotten up to long runs of 15 miles and included runs on sandy trails, hill runs, speed runs, and was doing very well.  Then my fistula issues interfered and I had to take a 3-month break from training.  When the doctor permitted me to return to training in mid-August, I had trouble running just a few miles.

Yesterday, I ran my sandy & hilly for the first time in over 3 months.  The weather was hot & humid and I really was not sure I would complete my planned 4-mile run.  In fact, I was mentally prepared to walk up to 2 miles of that particular run.

However, by mile 2, I realized I felt good.  By mile 3, I decided to pick up my pace.  By the time I finished, I run those 4 miles faster than my pre-surgery best, and I felt good doing it.  I completed 4 miles in 40 minutes.

Instead of running the US AF Marathon on 9/21, I changed my bib and will run the 10K.  I hope to beat my all-time PR for that distance of 56 minutes.  I'm not certain I can do it, but I do have a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment