Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Running with Crohn’s: GERD


If I haven’t mentioned it in prior entries, let me state now that IBD suffers are far more likely to experience many of the conditions I’ve mentioned in my entries.  Things like eye problems, kidney stones, GERD, and many others afflict Crohn’s suffers in much higher percentages than non-IBD suffers.  As I experience these things or think about them, I am trying to write entries about them.



A GERD episode I experienced last night inspired this entry.  Normally my GERD episodes feel like normal heartburn and I treat them by taking 1-2 Rolaids/Tums.  Last night I experienced a feeling of intense pressure and pain in the center of my chest.  Because I had gone to a hospital with these symptoms on a prior occasion, I highly suspected this was GERD and not a heart attack.  Therefore, I took 6 Tums, which had exactly zero effect on the symptoms.  Drinking 2 teaspoons of baking soda mixed in a glass of water finally alleviate the symptoms.


What is GERD


GERD stands for Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease.  When people suffer from frequent heartburn (stomach acid moving back through the gastro esophageal sphincter into the esophagus), stomach acids begin to damage the sphincter and esophagus.  Over long periods, this damage can lead to ulcers in the esophagus and/or cancer.


This is another, of the many, conditions that affects people with IBD more frequently than the general population.  If you suffer from IBD, you may not develop GERD but you should watch for the symptoms of GERD




Mayo clinic on GERD



X-ray with barium contrast of GERD reflux moving up through the esophageal sphincter


GERD Symptoms




The Mayo Clinic published a list of GERD symptoms.  I most often experience simple heartburn.  I occasionally suffer from pressure and a dull but powerful pain in the center of my chest.  This chest pain caused enough distress on one occasion that I went to an emergency room for a heart attack.


My GERD symptoms:

  1. Burning sensation in and above my stomach
  2. Burning sensation in my throat
  3. (rarely) pain and pressure in my chest feeling like it emanating from my heart
  4. (rarely) feeling like a weight pressing on my chest
  5. (rarely) intense nausea

WARNING: if you experience chest pressure and pain, especially with shortness of breath and/or arm or jaw pain, get to a hospital immediately.  These symptoms can indicate a heart attack!



If you experience GERD symptoms frequently (more than twice a week), then you need to speak to your doctor about treating it.  Frequent heartburn can cause severe long-term health consequences.  Treating GERD in its early stages can be easy.

Diagnosis

If your doctor suspects GERD, he may recommend performing an endoscopy.  This involves an outpatient procedure in which he will sedate you, insert a flexible scope down your throat, inspect your esophagus, and probably inspect your stomach and duodenum (first chamber of your small bowel).

If you suffer from bowel issues and get colonoscopies on regular basis, then your doctor will perform the endoscopy during your colonoscopy.







Picture of GERD damage to esophagus (erosion, scarring, and stricture)




During the endoscopy your doctor may take biopsies of the esophageal tissues to look for abnormalities.  If you get a chance to read the biopsy results, Normal == good and Abnormal == bad.

Medications

Over the years, my GI doctor treated my GERD with different medications.  These include Nexium (esomeprazole magnesium), OTC Zantac (Ranitidine), prescription strength Zantac, and prescription strength Prilosec (Omeprazole).  I also treat myself with Tums (calcium carbonate), bicarbonate of soda, and Pepto-Bismol when I suffer acute symptoms of GERD.

If you think you have GERD, speak to your doctor about treating it.

Daily treatment

After my doctor diagnosed me with chronic GERD, he recommended a treatment plan.  Since he caught my GERD early, this plan included daily medications to control the symptoms.  The drugs I’ve used over the years include Nexium, Zantac, and Prilosec.

Nexium

I consider Nexium the “gold standard” for treating GERD.  Taking one pill daily completely eliminated all GERD symptoms for me.  My doctor’s endoscopy showed that the damage my GERD had caused had healed.  However, my prescription insurance removed Nexium from its formulary.  This made Nexium a very expensive treatment for me (~ $120 / month), so I asked my doctor to prescribe a different medication.

You must take Nexium daily and regularly for it to work.  It will not stop heartburn if you are already experiencing symptoms.

Zantac

Zantac (especially generic Zantac covered by my health insurance), was very inexpensive (~ $3 / month).  Initially it worked well for me.  However, I sometimes I experienced “breakthrough” heartburn.  Over time, the breakthrough heartburn increased in frequency.  Eventually, my doctor had to change my prescription.

Zantac will reduce current heartburn symptoms; however, it takes a long time to feel its effects.  I recommend taking another medication (like Tums/Rolaids) for more immediate relief of heartburn symptoms.

Prilosec

I’ve found Prilosec to work better than Zantac but not as well as Nexium.  Using prescription insurance, I’ve found the costs for the generic higher than generic Zantac too but still quite affordable.  Usually, if I forget to take a dose, I do not suffer GERD.  However, if I forget two consecutive doses I usually experience GERD.  Rarely when I do not forget any doses, I get breakthrough heartburn anyway.

You must take Prilosec daily and regularly for it to work.  It will not stop heartburn if you are already experiencing symptoms.


Breakthrough heartburn

When I get heartburn despite my GERD medications, then I use a variety of different heartburn medications.  These include calcium carbonate (e.g. Tums), bicarbonate of soda, and Pepto-Bismol.  These remedies do not stop the reflux (fluids moving from the stomach back into the esophagus), however, they do reduce the damage that reflux causes by reducing the acidity of stomach acids (using antacids for GERD).

Calcium carbonate

Most OTC antacids (Tums, et al) use calcium carbonate to neutralize stomach acids.  For occasional use in most people, this works fine.  However, taking too much calcium carbonate can cause constipation in some people.  Since I suffer from almost constant diarrhea from my IBD, this does not bother me at all. 

However, taking a lot of calcium carbonate can also cause kidney stones.  I have had kidney stones before (calcium oxalate – but I discuss that in another blog) so this does concern me.  Because these tablets are terribly convenient, I do still use them.  However, I try to use Pepto-Bismol, whenever possible to give my kidneys a break.

Bicarbonate of soda (aka baking soda)

I have not found any OTC medications that use baking soda as an active ingredient.  However, you can take this remedy by putting one or two teaspoons of baking soda into a glass of water and then drink it.  It will taste terrible (it tastes very VERY bitter to me but some people don’t mind the taste as much as I do).

This home remedy works MUCH faster than any other treatment I’ve ever tried.  I start to feel better in seconds and it can eliminate my symptoms in just a few minutes.  It doesn’t cause kidney stone or constipation problems.  Other than taste and convenience, I’ve found this to be the best remedy.

Pepto-Bismol

In my opinion, it tastes better than baking soda but worse than calcium carbonate.  It works slower than calcium carbonate and it can cause constipation.  However, as far as I know, it does cause kidney stones.  If you suffer from kidney stones, use this as a replacement for Tums/Rolaids when you can.


Summary


  • Regular heartburn will lead to more serious medical issues
  • In its early stages, doctors can treat your GERD with daily medication and prevent those issues
  • More serious GERD or long-term damage from it may require surgery.
  • Treat breakthrough heartburn with OTC remedies; choose your remedy carefully depending upon your underlying issues
  • Some GERD symptoms mimic heart attack symptoms.  If you have any doubt about them, get to an emergency room.

No comments:

Post a Comment