Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Running with Crohn’s: Gear



The stuff you need, the stuff you want, and the stuff you didn’t know you wanted

This entry focuses upon running and the gear you can use.  I divide this stuff into four different categories: essential, conditionally essential, helpful, and fun.

Essential:


Running shoes -


If you do not own a pair of dedicated running shoes, this is the first thing you should purchase for your running addiction.  They make running easier and they reduce your chances of injury.  You can purchase a decent pair for $30-$50.  Make certain that they are “running shoes,” not cross trainers or other sport shoes.  Try them on before you buy them.  Make sure they fit and feel comfortable.  When you get them home, use a Sharpie to write the date of purchase somewhere inconspicuous.  Replace your shoes after three to six months (depending upon how much you run).  Do not use these shoes for anything other than running until you replace them.

Conditionally essential

Rain gear

Mile 24 of Monumental Marathon after a deluge of rain in 35 F weather.  Note the lack of a rain poncho.  I was suffering moderate hypothermia at this point, had trouble thinking clearly, and was thoroughly miserable.

 

Rain poncho/slicker –

When it is cool (35 F) and rainy, you will require some form of rain protection.  A cheap vinyl or plastic poncho will protect you from the chilling effect of rain in cool weather.  This is essential equipment if you plan to run in all weather.


Cold weather gear




Dressed to run the Ladies First 5K in January (20 F and 30 mph winds).  Note gloves, gaiter, wool cap, wool socks, and many layers of clothing



 

Shirt –

High tech (called “tech”) shirts both wick sweat from your body and keep you warm in cold weather.  If you plan to run in cold temperatures (below freezing) then you should get some cold weather running gear.

Socks –

If you plan to run in cool, cold, or wet weather, I highly recommend purchasing some wool running socks.  Wool socks wick moisture away from your feet and keep your feet warm even when the socks are wet.  I have a set of Thorlo pad socks that I love (a combination of wool and silk).  They keep my feet cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and keep my feet dry whether my feet are sweating or I’m tromping through puddles on a trail run.
Thorlo Experia, wool & silk blend help keep feet cool in summer and warm in the winter


Gloves –

If you plan to run in cool / cold weather, bring a pair of gloves.  I read somewhere that 20% of your body’s heat loss can come through your hands.  My personal experience is that during a hard run, my whole body might be very hot but my hands can still be freezing cold and uncomfortable.  Even if you do not intend to wear them, bring them with you when you run in cold weather.

Warm-up leggings –

For when it gets too cold to run in shorts, I recommend leggings that wick away your sweat.

Neck gaiter –

Neck gaiters keep your neck warm and you may pull it up to cover the lower half of your face and keep that warm too.  If you plan to run in freezing weather, I highly recommend buying a neck gaiter.
 
Neck Gaiter by Rothco

Head cover -

In cool weather, your ears will get cold while the rest of your head is very hot.  The ear warmers help allow your head to stay cool while keeping your ears warm.  For very cold weather running, I recommend purchasing a wool cap.
 
Ear covers by The North Face


Excited to run a 5K in cool weather (this was a prep race for my first marathon), note the ear warmers and gloves.  I eventually stripped to just the wicking short sleeve shirt and shorts but kept those gloves and ear warmers.

Long distance run gear

Dressed for a distance run at the US AF Marathon (half marathon).  I have a Gatorade in my fuel belt.

 

Sports drink –

When running longer than 30 minutes, I recommend hydrating with sports drinks or water.  When I run 60 minutes or more, I always bring both.

Most sports drinks work equally well.  I use Gatorade G2 more out of habit than preference.


During Fuel –

When running longer than 30 minutes (and always when running more than 60 minutes), I bring sport gels.  My gels contain simple sugars, protein, and electrolytes.  When I eat gels, I often drink water rather than a sports drink.
You need to invest some time and effort to find the food that works best for you.  What works best for a runner depends very much upon the runner.  Some like trail mix, some like gels, others like gu.  I use Power Bar gels, while my wife prefers ShotBloks chews, and an ultra marathoner that we know prefers making his own trail mix.  If you have any running friends, ask if you can try some of the fuel options that they have.



After run fuel -

When performing a difficult run, you should consume some fuel within 30 to 60 minutes of your finish.  This food should contain a 2:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein.  Gatorade makes a product specifically to fill this niche (Gatorade G3, get the chocolate, the raspberry tastes nasty).  However, I recently found that the SlimFast diet shakes contain the same carbohydrate to protein ration and they also contain a significant amount of pureed fiber (which is great for someone with Crohn's Disease). 









Anti-chaffing cream –

When I run 2 hours or more, I apply and bring anti-chaffing cream.  I must apply this cream to my nipples to prevent my shirt from abrading and bleeding during the run.  I also apply this cream to my “man parts” to prevent my underwear from chaffing.



Salt –

Stop at a fast food joint and take a couple of salt packets with you.  Generally, the electrolytes in your fuel or sports drink are enough.  Once my body just could not hold onto the water I drank.  I think that taking some salt during that run would have helped me avoid stopping at every FREAKING port-a-potty on the course.  They also work nicely on especially hot days.



Phone –

You never know when something bad could happen.  I feel that carrying a cell phone is essential when you perform long runs.  Bring one with you so you can summon help if you need it.

Night run gear

Flashlight –

Flashlights are essential both to illuminate your path and indicate to drivers that they should avoid hitting you.

Headlamp –

Headlamps are essentially flashlights for your head.  They free up your hands to do things other than carrying a flashlight.  I use both a headlamp and a flashlight in my hand when I run at night.

Reflectors –

Reflectors make you more visible to drivers.  Running at night anywhere but on a dedicated running trail, means you will cross paths with automobiles.  Most drivers do not look for runners.  In addition to using flashlights, I highly recommend using reflectors.  Running clothes often include built in reflective materials but I would add to that if possible.

Helpful:

Shirt –

Tech or wicking shorts help tremendously in keep you cool during your run.  Cotton shirts absorb your sweat but it does not evaporate from cotton very well.  It is not essential, but very nice to have.

Running Shorts –

As a beginning runner, you can use almost any shorts for your workouts.  If you plan to run longer distances or stay with running for a long time, I recommend purchasing dedicated running shorts.  They help keep your legs cool.

I recommend getting shorts with pockets so you can carry things like gels, tissues, salt, medications, or other handy items.

Wipes –

As I have mentioned previous, I carry PreparationH wipes with me, whenever I think I might have to use a restroom other than my own, which is nearly all the time.  I especially recommend bringing these if you plan to do any long duration runs (one or more hours).

Sunglasses –

I wear sunglasses on almost every run I do, regardless of sun condition.  Use sunglasses when the sun is shiny, of course.  However, they are also handy when it is raining, keeps the rain out of your eyes; windy, keeps the wind out of your eyes; buggy, keeps the bugs out of your eyes; or when there’s sand or grit on the course being kicked up by the wind or other runners.

I like polarized glasses (they help reduce the glare from reflected sunlight).  I also like the cheap wrap-around type sunglasses since these give your eyes better protection.

I only refuse to wear sunglasses at night

Running Cap –

I got my running cap as swag from running the US AF marathon.  I love this cap!  It is made from lightweight and breathable materials, so it helps keep your head cool.  There is a built in sweatband on the forehead, so it helps keep the sweat out of your eyes.  It also has a visor to shade your eyes.  In combination with the sunglasses, this works really well to protect your eyes from the sun.



Heart rate monitor –

My wife (this is her blog) gave it to me as a Christmas present helps me train.  I use the monitor to determine how hard I am working and keep track of my overall effort.  I design some workouts completely around my heart rate response to the running that I do.  I do not consider heart rate monitors essential, however, if you eventually plan to run long distance or you plan to keep running for several years, I suggest that you get a heart rate monitor.



Fun:

Wicking underwear –

I love my wicking underwear; they feel like the manly equivalent of “spanks”.  Moreover, they help air circulate around my manly bits and keep them cool.  Their tight fit and soft fabric also help reduce chaffing (I suffer from some chaffing whenever my runs last 90 minutes or more).  However, do I really need these?  No.

I have wicking boxer briefs by both Under Armor and Starter. The Underarmor does a better job keeping the man bits cool, however, the Starter does a better job keeping the man bits from chaffing.  Now I almost exclusively use the Starter boxer briefs when doing distance runs.  Unfortunately I do not know what model line I use.  I thought it was their "Performance Pro", however, the fabric does not feel like polyester/spandex.  It feels like a polyester/cotton blend.

Running app –

You may purchase running apps for your smart phone.  These use GPS to track your run distance, time, and speed.  My wife uses one on her smart phone.  I do not use one.

Running apps make tracking your progress easier but you do not really need one.

Chronograph –

These just track your running times.  A chronograph that manages split times allows you to break your run into segments and track your performance on each segment (e.g. mile times).  For some training goals, chronographs will help.  However, I do not consider my chronograph and essential part of my running gear.

Music Player –

Running, especially long-distance running can get tedious.  Some of my marathon training runs last 5 hours or more and that is a very long time to not do anything mental.  Music players or audio books significantly help alleviate running boredom.
I prefer listening to music for short intense workouts.  I prefer listening to audio books for long duration runs.  Not an essential piece of running gear but very nice to have.

Fuel belt –

When performing long-distance runs, I have found it essential to carry at least some of my water/sports drink and fuel with me.  Since my running short’s pockets cannot easily accommodate my water bottle, I purchased a “fuel belt” to carry bottles.  It also possesses pouches for carrying other things (like salt packets, fuel gels, and wipes).

If you run on a course that brings you back to your source of water and fuel every 30 minutes or so, you can skip the fuel belt.  If not, then I suggest purchasing a fuel belt to aid in carrying some of your running supplies for them.


At the finish of Flying Pig 10K

Summary

Watching me gear up for a night time, long-distance run in the winter is hysterically funny because I probably bring 10 lbs. of various running gear with me.


At the Eagle Creek Winter Trail Marathon in January (25 F): wearing proper winter weather and night running gear including head lamp, reflectors, flashlight, gloves, ear warmers, gaiter, 4 layers on top, wool socks, fuel belt, and having a great time.

1 comment:

  1. When you're looking at the very best running shoes for ladies, several things comes to mind which includes its reliability, the degree of comfort you're able to get and of course the price that you need to pay for them. Learn about About Running Addicted on www.runningaddicted.com.

    ReplyDelete