Thursday, June 26, 2014

Diary of a Crohn’s Flare: Energy Levels


It’s been almost a month since my last entry.  My lack of writing hasn’t been due to a lack of interesting things to write about, rather it’s been due to my very low energy levels.  Most of the time, I haven’t felt well enough or had enough energy to write.  When I have had energy, I’ve been busting my butt trying to get things done for my family or work that I’ve delayed doing when I haven’t felt well.

When I’ve been in remission, I normally have enough energy to get everything done.  When I’ve been in very bad shape, I don’t have enough energy to do anything but the barest minimum of activity to keep me going.  This flare has kept me in an in-between state.  Sometimes I have no energy and sometimes I have just enough energy to get some of the most important things for home or work done.  However, much of the time I haven’t had extra energy to play games, write blogs, or even read.

I’m still learning about how to cope with Crohn’s.  My Crohn’s in this flare is acting like a completely different disease.  Back in the 90s I dealt with anemia, pain, diarrhea, indigestion, and many other typical Crohn’s problems but this time around I’ve got a completely different suite of issues to deal with.

Since I’m still learning I don’t have sage words of wisdom to offer, however, I have found a few things that work for me and I’ll share what I have learned.

Try to get more sleep.  Go to bed earlier and try to sleep as long as you can.  Also, I’ve had problems with staying asleep.  Almost every night something wakes me up (having to use the restroom, pain, pets, children, getting very thirsty, etc.).  And over the last several months, I’ve had problems getting back to sleep after waking up.  So try to eliminate (as much as possible) those things waking you up at night.  I put the pets out of my room, ask the kids not to wake us, keep my pain meds by the side of the bed, keep a bottle of water by the side of the bed, and try to not drink too much water before going to sleep.  I also take an immodium before going to bed to help reduce the chances of a needing to use the restroom at night.  Lately, I’ve also taking a 300 mcg (microgram) melatonin pill to help me get drowsy and stay drowsy (the dosage is important, most OTC melatonin is sold as 3 mg or 5 mg which is 10 – 20 times too much).  I’ve done this 3 nights in a row, and the metanonin has helped me get back to sleep much faster than I have recently.

Do not over-exert yourself.  I have stopped running and have reduced my physical activity significantly.  I intend to continue babying myself for the near future and until I’ve begun to make significant improvements.  My family is cooperating with this.  Even when you’re feeling better, try to avoid overdoing it.  Lately, I’ve found that if I do too much when I feel well, it likely triggers a bout of feeling not so well (usually includes pain and tiredness).

Where possible eat well.  Try to get protein, fat, and carbohydrates in the proper proportions.  Use dietary supplements to ensure that you’re getting enough vitamins and minerals.  I still avoid bulky fruits and vegetables.  I try to only eat the pureed versions of these when possible.  When it’s not possible I avoid must fresh fruits and vegetables – especially the most fibrous portions of them (skins, stems, etc.).  I have severe strictures in my gut and I think that the bulky fibrous portions of these are contributing to my pain, bloating, and feeling of fullness.

Think before using pain medications but don’t be afraid to use them.  I try to use the standard of “will I be more functional after using the pain medication?” as my criteria over whether to use them or not.  However, sometimes a planned activity (like needing to drive somewhere) prevents me from using pain medication when I’d otherwise use it.  I’ve also been taking only ½ of a pain pill.  I’m hoping this half dose is enough to knock the pain back but not make me feel too dopey.  Mostly this has worked.  When it hasn’t worked, I have the option of taking the other ½ pain pill to make me more comfortable.

That’s all for now, I’ve got to get some more work done so my employer doesn’t get too pissed.  I’ll try to put up another message with my progress tonight or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment